Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall in South Florida

It's been almost imperceptible, but it's been happening. Slowly the nights are getting longer and the weather slightly cooler. School has started, the roads are busier and while it's still hot, it's not quite so sweltering. Football season is here, and the 'Canes are off to a great start (#9 baby! Movin' on up!)

I love fall. It's my favorite season. I love the spookiness that comes with Halloween, the excitement of football games (unless, of course, you are going for the Carolina Panthers, then you just stick to college) and rush of new things starting. I don't know about everyone else, but I always feel like there's a new beginning in fall. Maybe because that's when the school semester starts and I am so regulated by the years of elementary, middle, high, undergrad and graduate school years. Maybe because my job runs along with the school year now. Maybe it's because I was a fall baby, but things for me start in the fall.

I also love the richness of the changing season. You don't see it here, and I confess that's what I miss most about living in the Carolinas, but the colors of the leaves, reflected in the colors in fall fashions are my favorites. Yellows, oranges, reds, matched with deep baritone-rich browns, purples and olive greens are so much more interesting and pretty than the pastels of spring.

So happy first day of fall everyone! Lets hope the tensions surrounding us (ie the sudden surge of violence in schools) starts to melt away. I, for one, am excited to see where life takes me! Cheers!

Christina

No comments: